Vitamins & Supplements
- US law permits vitamins and supplements to be sold without the same regulations that apply to prescription or over-the-counter medications.
- Vitamin and supplement manufacturers do not need to prove that the type and quantity of the vitamin on the label matches what is in the bottle. In some cases, tablets or capsules may not contain any vitamins or supplements at all.
- Vitamins and supplements can interact with other medications, sometimes causing dangerous interactions.
- Vitamin deficiency is rare in the United States. The American diet typically contains a more than adequate quantity of vitamins and nutrients.
- There is no research to support taking a multivitamin. In fact, some research suggests that multivitamins can even be harmful.